History of the Tucson Chapter DAR
The State of Arizona was just a toddler of three when the Tucson Chapter DAR was founded—that's a lot of history together! We're proud of our 100+ years of accomplishments and service to the Tucson community, Arizona State DAR, and NSDAR!
1915 to 1920
- Mrs. Loua Adelle Blachly Freeman served as the first chapter regent from 1915–1917.
- The Phoenix and Tucson DAR Daughters decided to start the second Arizona Chapter. Formed on February 27, the Tucson Chapter was introduced in April at the Twenty-Fourth Continental Congress by Arizona State Regent Bertha T. Chandler.
- The first Tucson Chapter meeting was held at the home of Mrs. Arthur Still, the granddaughter of an actual daughter of a Revolutionary soldier. Fourteen organizing members were in attendance.
- Mrs. Mary Alice Boykin served as chapter regent from 1917–1918.
- Under the guidance of Mrs. Boykin, Tucson Chapter members and other members of the Southern Arizona DAR aided wartime efforts by making hospital supplies, serving meals to soldiers en route to the border, and holding teas for new members.
- When border troubles called for mobilization of troops, Tucson Chapter members and other members of the Southern Arizona DAR sent fruit and other supplies.
- Mrs. John Ittner served as chapter regent from 1918–1919.
- Mrs. Arthur Still served as chapter regent from 1919–1920.
- Chapter members provided all forms of World War I war relief to the American Red Cross.
- DAR built and equipped an operating room in the Mercy Emergency Hospital, later called the Comstock Children's Hospital.
1920 to 1925
- Mrs. W. C. Goetz served as chapter regent from 1920–1921.
- Mrs. Goetz presented a portrait from the Tucson Chapter of Anson P.K. Safford (Arizona Governor from 1869–1877) to the Safford Elementary School in Tucson.
- Mrs. Effie Van Tuyl was chapter regent from 1921–1922.
- The Tucson Chapter raised $1000 through the efforts of Mrs. Hoval Smith for the Comstock Hospital for Children.
- Charter member Mabel Wakefield Moffitt served as chapter regent from 1922–1926.
- During Mrs. Moffitt's term, the Tucson Chapter Daughters placed historical markers at the four corners of the original presidio (fortress) walls that surrounded and protected Tucson's early settlers from raids by Apache Indians prior to 1845.
January 1922 edition (Vol. LVI) of The Daughters of the American Revolution Magazine
South-East corner of the Old Adobe Wall
Tucson Chapter formed the Student Fund to provide loans to
deserving college juniors and seniors in good standing toward the
completion of their degrees at the University of Arizona. Money for the
fund was raised by holding card parties and events such as the
Greenway Field Day, an athletic competition with 75 events and 1500 contestants. These highly successful events raised thousands of dollars for the Student Fund.